Thursday, August 31, 2006

Om Ganeshaya Namoh!

Since I could not take pics of the Pune Ganpatis, am posting the one at home. We had decided to have a permanent 'sthapana' done of the Ganpati, keeping in mind the ecosystem,etc. Plus, the way the idols are thrown around here, I think it was a wise decision.

So the brass Ganpati is the permanent one. And since visarjan is a part of the puja, I make a small ganpati, either of clay or 'atta' (flour), and we have the visarjan at home itself. The orange Ganesh (in the pic below) is the one I have made- from flour and food colours...yes, completely edible! ;)

And we have a huge collection of Ganeshas- around 300 odd- from statues to prints, frames to masks, suparis to toys...they are all stored and displayed only during the festival... have not displayed all this time because of my dog, Tara, who's still too small to understand she's not supposed to eat them.

And am sharing few with you all.



 Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

White Magpie said...

Cute..I have a unique one too..playing the flute..Not planning to immerse him ever ;)

± said...

i love ganpatis.
have been collecting them since ages :)

Wanderer said...

* White: I know that feeling. Every Ganpati when we immersed the idol, I would cry... now no more of that!:)

* Harjee:Put up pics- or send me the same. Will put it up on my blog... :)

Trundling Grunt said...

IIRC there was a recent hue and cry about making Ganpati from toxic materials. It's good to see so many Ganeshas - LSWMBO would give her eyeteeth for one.

Thank you for stopping by.

AJ ! Serendipity !!! said...

wow amazing collection
they r my favourite :)

Wanderer said...

*Ajay: Thanks buddy!